My Immediate Family

To introduce you to my immediate family, I had better explain who / what they may be!

I wish to describe my parents, my children and my grandchildren.

To start with, my Mother and Father were both born in South Australia in the 1910′s.

Ken Temple

Ken Temple

Dad was born in the family home in Henry Street,  Stepney while mum

Elna Jean Temple with Jean Lorraine

Elna Jean Temple with Jean Lorraine

was born in her family home at Sixth Avenue, Cheltenham. They met at a dance hall in Port Adelaide, it is thought the Freemason’s hall opposite the Pt. Adelaide Congregational Church (incidentally where Trev and I were married in 1962.)  On 3rd June 1939, dad (Kenneth Maxwell Temple) married mum, (Elna Jean Hembury) in St. Paul’s Anglican Church, Port Adelaide.

They settled at Prospect in Adelaide but in 1952 moved to their larger home at

39 Seventh Avenue Cheltenham

39 Seventh Avenue Cheltenham

39 Seventh Avenue, Cheltenham.  This (as it happened) was one street away from where mum had been born.  They selected Cheltenham to be the place they wished to live due to the proximity of other family members.

In 1941 Ken volunteered under the Mobilisation Attestation Act, to be taken into the Citizens Military Forces (CMF). In 1942 he enlisted with the Australian Infantry Forces,  and undertook duties as Grade Group II – winch man. He served in PNG plying vessels between Thursday Island in Australia (and other ports) to several port in PNG, including (amongst others) Wewak, Lae and Merauke.

World War II severed, destroyed or altered the lives of  many Australian soldiers, and dad was no exception. He was fortunate in that he came back alive and quite fit – but the mental and emotional issues of serving in the war would have weighed on him for the remained of his life.

On his return he rejoined family life with mum, his oldest child Jean by then 5 years of age, and two months later, myself. He was discharged from the Army in October 1945, and I was born in December 1945.  (He had obviously enjoyed a bit of home R& R at some point or other previous to that event!)

Post Army, Dad became what was then known as a “Hawker”.

Dad's Van


He owned a motor van that was fitted out with appropriate racking and shelving to suit the haberdashery lines he was promoting.  Once set up he would leave home and move around the suburbs of Adelaide, selling the goods he was carrying in the van. He developed a loyal and ever growing client base that saw his business continually grow.

On weekends he would take the family to visit his relatives, or go to the football, or simply remain at home relaxing, gardening or doing home maintenance and improvements around the house.

During this time, my mother remained at home, looking after Jean myself and my younger sister Lorraine as we grew up. Nana and grandpa were just around the next street – so mum was given a lot of assistance from that quarter.

As time went on, strain and tension entered our lives. Mum became extremely ill and her life was in danger. A specialist offered hope by suggesting that my mum undergo a lobotomy.  As a life saving measure, this was agreed to by the (adult) members of the family. However, after this, although she lived her personality changed and she was unable to be the person she was prior to becoming ill.

My youngest sister (Lorraine) was born in 1950. When she was 10, Jean 20 and I 14,  – dad suddenly died.  This caused much trauma in the family.  Jean was by then married with a baby boy, David.  Ian Pennell, Jean’s husband was an immense help in keeping the family in some sort of shape as mum did not cope at all in these and subsequent days.

In October 1960, I met Trevor Francis, who was later to become my husband. We married in 1962 and had a daughter in May 1963.  Our lives changed in December 1966 when Trevor accepted a position at Australia’s (then) largest tin mine – Renison Limited on the west coast of  Tasmania. He was an Analytical Chemist and became Chief Chemist of the mine.  To do this our own little nucleus consisting of our daughter Marie 3 yrs. of age, and also our son Garry (who was born in May1966) moved to a small isolated town on the west coast of Tasmania, Zeehan.

We stayed in Zeehan till 1971 when Trevor accepted another position, this time in the Southern Highlands of country N.S. W. at a place called Bowral.  A Welsh company intimately involved in the mineral and mining industry set up an Australian Division of their Welsh parent company – Robertson Research (Australia) Pty. Ltd.  Again, Trevor was employed as Chief Chemist.  As a family we enjoyed living in both Zeehan and Bowral and it was while we were at Bowral that our second daughter, Nicole was born. We were fortunate in Bowral in that RRA had offered us a real estate deal that was really good for us, and we built our first home on Kangaloon Road, Bowral.  During this time, I also commenced working as a hostess/receptionist for a motel, and a as a typist in the Berrima Cement works.

Another turning point came in 1974 when it became apparent that it would be a good to move back to Adelaide. We did this and we were lucky enough to be able to secure a residence at 14, Marita Street, Morphett Vale, a suburb some 35 Km to the south of the Adelaide CBD.

Trevor gained employment back at the company he commenced with in 1962 at a place called The Australian Mineral development Laboratories (AMDEL). He remained at AMDEL till his retirement in 2001. This was a busy time in our lives with children growing up, myself being absorbed into church life at the Morphett Vale Baptist Church and undertaking other working roles to assist both financially as well as being an outside interest for me.

1979 saw things change dramatically with the death of our oldest daughter Marie, who was then 16 years of age. She was a passenger in a vehicle travelling along South Road at Tonsley Park on a dark, wet dismal sort of night when the car she was travelling in collided with a stationary, parked large truck. Another teenage died in this crash and several others were injured.

The grief situation sent ripples around Australia as well as overseas, amongst family, friends and a large contingent of teenagers involved in a Youth Group with the Morphett Vale Brethren Church.

However, life DOES go one – whether we feel like it or not, and our other two children grew up into wonderful people of whom I am totally and immensely proud.

Garry on leaving school, commenced his working life at Banner Hardware in Reynella S.A., but showed more interest in things computing!  He left Banner to join Mitubishi at Lonsdale mainly working in the foundry – on permanent night shift.  During this time he undertook studies in computing at TAFE College Panorama and by sheer persistence eventually gained a position in Mitsubishi Computing Division.  He remained there gaining significant in-house training in EIF techniques that enabled him to leave Mitsubishi in 1966 and become a private computer contractor, based in Canberra.

By that time, he had married Sue Heapy and had had two delightful daughters. It was a real painful parting for me and Trevor to see our son, daughter-in-law and two grandies moved so far away from Adelaide.  His oldest child,Lauren was born 10 weeks premature in October 1992, while Katie was born in July 1995.

However, as much as we don’t like change, change is an inevitable part of life and Garry and his family settled in Canberra.  Lauren has now completed Year 12 at school and has commenced her first year at Canberra University ACT which she really loves.  Katie is now in year 10 (2011.) They are both wonderful people and we are proud to have them as part of our family! Garry, Sue and the two girls are an absolute delight.

Our youngest daughter Nicole grew up with considerable pain at the loss of her older sister, who was more like a 2nd mum to her because of the 10 yr. age difference.   Nicky was one of the first students in  the inaugural intake of students of the Morphett Vale Baptist Church Christian Community School.  It was in that safe and supportive environment that she gained confidence in herself and went on until year 10 in that school.  She decided to leave school then as she had a traineeship offered to her at the West End Baptist Mission in Adelaide.  This entailed undertaking Business Studies at Hales Business College in Adelaide.  She became in integral part of the Mission, and then later Mission Australia until 1992 when she married David Rawlings.  David had gained a position in Sydney just prior to their marriage, so Nicky moved with him to Sydney immediately after their marriage. She was fortunate to quickly find employment with Mission Australia in Sydney, which was Head Office of her employer in Adelaide.  She became Personal Assistant to the Chief Executive Officer for Mission Australia – National.

They remained in Sydney until 1994 when David gained another position based in Adelaide. Again Nicky became involved in the Adelaide office of Mission Australia. During this time they lived in their homette in Morphett Vale for 3 years and now reside in their own home in Onkaparinga Hills.  Having tried for many years to have children, they joined the IVF program at the Flinders Medical IVF Unit and in 2001 were successful in having their first child – a boy – Cameron.    David discovered, that there was very little literature to assist men to go through through this very difficult process, so using his Journalistic training,  he wrote a book called “Swimming Upstream.” The aim of this book (which is available for sale on line) was to aid in knowledge and understanding, and to give a voice to men who were struggling with the whole issue of infertility and pursuing IVF. (see

Since then, Nicky and David have been successful a second time with the IVF procedure after having two eggs implanted after fertilisation.  It was very exciting for them and the family, when both eggs developed and twin girls were added to their family.  In April 2004, Daniella was born (first of the twins) followed closely by Emily.  This has been such delight to me and everyone in the family to see these young children growing up into such lovely people. Even at a young age their individual characteristics have taken shape.  They have parents who are enthusiastic exponents of “Families Australia”, which trains parents  how to nurture, support, encourage and give strong but loving discipline to each of their children.

We are indeed blessed to have two wonderful children, married to loving, caring partners, and also our gorgeous five grandchildren.


Comments are closed.